Beerakayalu/ Ridge Gourd 3 (medium size)
Senagapappu(Chana dal) 3/4 cup
Onion big 1 (chopped)
Green chillies 2 (chopped)
Tomatoes 2 (chopped)
urad dal/ minapoppu 1/2 tsp
cumin seeds 1/2 tsp
mustard seeds 1/2 tsp
curry leaves 1 string
turmeric powder 1/4 tsp
Red chilli powder 1 tsp ( adjust according to spice)
Oil 2 tbsp
1. Soak chana dal in water for about an hour.
2. Heat oil in the pan and add urad dal, mustard seeds, cumin seeds, curry leaves and let them splatter on medium heat.
3. Then add chopped onion, green chillies, turmeric, salt and let them cook until they turn golden brown.
4. Add chopped ridge gourd and cook until half done, then add soaked chana dal, chopped tomatoes, red chilli powder mix well close with lid and let it cook for 5 minutes on medium. Check in between if it burns.
5. Then add a cup of water, let it simmer until it reaches desired gravy consistency, check for seasonings switch of the stove and serve hot with rice or roti.