- 3 Tbsp oil
- 2 Tbsp ghee (clarified butter)
- 4 cloves
- 2 (1 inch) Cinnamon
- 2 green Cardamoms
- 3 Bay leaves
- 2 green Chilies (chopped)
- 10-15 Cashews
- 2 Tsp Ginger Garlic paste
- 1 big Onion sliced
- 1 pound/ 1/2 kg Chicken
- 1 Tsp red Chili powder (to taste)
- 1/2 Tsp Turmeric powder
- salt to taste
- 1 Tsp Cumin Coriander powder
- 2 Tsp biryani masala
- 2 cups of fresh mint leaves (chopped)
- 2 cups of fresh green Coriander (chopped)
- 1 cup fried onions
- 1/2 cup yogurt
- 2 cups Basmati Rice (washed and soaked in water for at least half an hour)
- 2 Tsp oil
- 1/4 Tsp Caraway seeds (shahi jeera/black cumin seeds)
- 1/4 cup of milk
- a few strands of Saffron (kesar)
1. Heat oil and ghee in a deep pan, add the bay leaves, cloves, cinnamon and green cardamoms. When they crackle, add the cashews, ginger garlic and chilies. Saute for a minute and add the chopped onion and fry for 2 minutes. Now add the Chicken cook on a medium high heat till all the water dries up. To that add turmeric, salt, chilli powder, cumin coriander powder, biryani masala, 1/3 fried onions, 1 cup mint leaves, and 1 cup coriander leaves. Add 1/2 cup yogurt mix well and adjust the seasoning and switch off the flame.
2. Boil the soaked rice with 1/4 tsp of Shahi jeera (caraway seeds) 2 tbs oil and some salt. The rice should absorb the salt otherwise the biryani will be tasteless. Cook the rice until 3/4 cooked do not over boil the rice. Now strain the rice and spread it out on a flat tray or surface, so that it cools faster. Soak the saffron in 1/4 cup milk.
3. Use a heavy bottom pan with a lid. First spread some ghee at the bottom of the pan. First layer chicken, second a layer of rice now sprinkle a generous handful of chopped coriander mint and fried onions. Repeat the layers with rice being the top most layer. Sprinkle the leftover onions, mint and coriander leaves.
4. Pour the saffron milk on the top using a spoon, evenly covering the whole area. Once all layers are set cover with lid and place this pan on top of a cast iron tawa (on which chapatis are made) or another heavy bottom pan in order to prevent the bottom layer from getting burnt cook on very low flame for 40 minutes.
5. If you have oven pre heat the oven to 350°F place biryani in the oven for 30 minutes. Cool for 5 minutes and enjoy the biryani.