Saturday, December 11, 2010
Sambar (Lentil Soup)
- Toor dal 1 cup
Water 3 cups
Turmeric powder 1/4 tsp
- Carrot 1 cup, cubed
Bottle Gourd 1 cup cubed
Potato 1 medium cubed
Drumstick 2, cut lengthwise (optional)
Tomatos 2, sliced
Brinjal 1 cup, cubed
Big onion 1, cut to 1/8 pieces
Sweet potato 1 cup, cubed (optional)
Green chillies 2 slit length wise
- Tamarind size of a big lime (adjust the qty as per your taste)
Sambar powder 2 tbsp
Chilli pwd 1 tsp
- Methi seeds 1/4 tbs
Mustard 1/2 tsp
Cumin 1/2 tbs
Garlic pods 3 crushed (optional)
Red chillies 3
Asafoetida (Hing) 1/2 tsp
Cilantro for garnish
1. Pressure cook the dal with water & turmeric powder on high flame for 4 whistles. Keep it closed for 30 minutes or till the steam goes.
2. Mash the cooked dal well using a wooden spoon. Add 4 cups of water and some salt to the mashed dal and mix it well and keep aside.
3. Soak the tamarind in water for 30 minutes and squeeze the juice.
4.Take another large pan and cook the veggies with some water chilli pwd and salt until half cooked. Add the mashed dal, tamarind pulp and sambar powder.
5. Cook till all the veggies are fully cooked.
6. Meanwhile heat 2 tbsp oil in another pan and add methi seeds, mustard seeds, cumin seeds, garlic pods, red chillies, hing and curry leaves and Fry it for a minute, make sure that it doesn’t get burnt.
7. Add this to the sambar and mix well. Remove from fire and garnish with cilantro.
8. Serve with rice, idly, vada, or dosa.
Note: You can adjust the qty of water to required consistency. Also you can use the veggies of your choice.