Thursday, December 9, 2010
Fish Curry (Chapala Pulusu)
10 fish pieces (tilapia, mackerel or king fish steak cut)
2 large onion
3 pieces of coconut (about 1/8 coconut)
Ginger garlic paste 2 tbsp
5 green chillies (slit length wise)
3 tbsps red chilli pwd (increase or decrease acc to your taste)
turmeric pwd 1/2 tsp
jeera /cumin pwd 1 tsp
dhaniya / corriander pwd 1 tbsp
Big lemon size tamarind (soaked and pulp extracted)
Salt to taste
Oil 4 tbsp
2 tbsps chopped cilantro
1. Wash the fish pieces and drain all the water. Marinate with salt, turmeric, chilli pwd and keep aside.
2. Grind the onions and coconut to paste with some water.
3. Heat oil in a wide pan, add the onion coconut paste, ginger garlic paste add slit green chillies and saute for about 3-4 min until oil seperates.
4. Then add the remaining turmeric, red chilli pwd, cumin pwd, coriander pwd, salt and mix well.
5. Now add the marinated fish pieces(arrange each piece beside other) and let cook for 3 mins on one side. Turn and cook for another 3 mins.
6. Add the tamarind pulp mixed with enough water and pour into the pan till the fish submerges.
7. Place a lid and cook for 10-15 mins on low-medium heat. Stirring the pan in between. Do not use a spatula(the fish pieces might break), hold the sides of the pan and rotate the pan carefully.
8. Check for seasoning or water, if u need any add now. Cook for another 10 mins, till oil separates.
9. Add the chopped cilantro. Close the lid, cook for another min and switch off the stove.
10. Let stay for 30 mins to 1 hr before serving.
11. Serve with rice.