Sunday, January 2, 2011
Green beans curry
1 lb. green beans, stems trimmed and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
1 potato diced
4 tomatoes diced
1 big onion, chopped
1/2 tsp cumin seeds
1/2 tsp mustard seeds
1 tsp red chillie powder
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
2 tbsp canola oil
Salt to taste
Fresh cilantro for garnish
1. Boil the chopped beans in 1 cup of water and some salt for about 5 minutes. Until they are half cooked and drain the water and keep aside.
2. Preheat a large sauté pan and add oil. On medium heat sauté mustard seeds, cumin seeds, and curry leaves.
3. Add onions and fry till golden brown and add diced potato pieces, salt, and turmeric powder. Cover and cook till the potato pieces are fork tender.
4. Add tomatoes, and red chillie powder and sauté for 3-4 minutes. Stir in boiled green beans, add 1 cup of water cover, and simmer on low heat for about 10 minutes or until beans are tender.
5. Garnish with cilantro and serve.