Sunday, January 2, 2011
250 grams paneer
1 bunch of palak / spinach
2 medium sized onions (finely chopped)
2 medium size tomatoes (finely chopped)
2 green chillies (slit into half)
½ tsp turmeric powder
1 tsp red chilli powder
1 tsp ginger garlic paste
1 tsp cumin seeds
2 bay leaves
1 tsp garam masala
2 tsp lime juice
3 tbsp oil
Salt to taste
Cream for garnish
1. Cook the palak (spinach) for about 5 minutes in boiling water drain and grind it to fine paste after it is cold.
2. Cut the paneer into small cubes and fry in oil till light golden brown.
3. Heat the oil in a non-stick pan and add the bay leaf, cumin seeds. Wait till it crackles and ensure that it does not burn.
4. Add the chopped onions and green chillies and sauté till the onions are golden brown. Add the ginger garlic paste and sauté for another minute. Add the turmeric powder, chilli powder and sauté for another 1-2 minutes. Then add the tomato pieces and stir till the oil separates.
5. Add the palak paste to this mixture along with 1/2 cup water, you can use water drained after cooking spinach.
6. Add the paneer, garam masala, lime juice and salt and cook till you start to see the gravy bubbling. If the gravy seems a bit dry, you can add some more water.
7. Garnish with some cream in the end and serve hot with roti or rice.